Photo Essay - Step 1 - Looking at Essays
In this assignment you will create your own photo essay. To help prepare you for this you should review some other photo essays and prepare a report for the class.
Select a photo essay from the Time.com web site
Select one essay and be prepared to review it for our class. You will show us the essay and speak to these points:
- Did the photographer use staged photos, candid photos or both?
- Color or B&W? Did it make a difference? What factors contributed to the selection of one over the other?
- Find examples of good framing and composition and point them out. How close does the subject feel in the photo?
- Find examples of good use of color and light. Do you see backlighting? Were the photos taken early or late in the day?
- How is narration and text used to support the essay?
- Do the photos in the essay stand alone or do they need to be seen as a part of the whole?
- Describe your reaction to the essay. Do all photo essays illicit a reaction in the viewer?
This will be a public presentation for the rest of the class. You will recieve two grades for this lesson, one for presenting and one for participating (being an active listener.)